Server SIG - work areas

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 13:57:48 UTC 2009

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 08:28 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
>
>> We have heard some folks say "I dont care", since they are running
>> higher level applictions which include Java or Ruby. We have heard other
>> folks really concered with size (32/64 meg). The latter set is more on
>> the embedded side of appliancees.
>>

> So doesn't it make more sense to have the people with the special size
> needs build their own kernel pkg than rm files from the existing kernel
> pkg in %post?

It may.. .if they are really interested in size, whitelisting (or
blacklisting) is a common approach. Those users tend to focus on image
based updates as opposed to rpm based updates.

We have tried to limit the use of whitelising in the appliance tools
(acutally livecd tools) by adding code to set the rpm macros which hits
the common issues of docs and locales.

-- bk