Server Spin

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Jan 20 14:00:02 UTC 2009

Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 10:10 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> While I'm not disagreeing, why not create "single CD install media" with
>> an option (in the isolinux.cfg menu) to have the minimum (working) set
>> of packages be installed, and the rest of the installation menu
>> interactive (partitioning, root password)?
>>
>> Bearing in mind that the Fedora Project already releases CDs, and that
>> I've fixed package ordering, the simplest win would be to add the menu
>> entry to the isolinux.cfg, and include one kickstart file on the disk
>> with just a %packages section.
>>
>> A user would still be able to run the normal installation procedure, or
>> supply a different kickstart on the cmdline (including the %packages
>> kickstart on the cdrom?) for full automation.
>>
>> Just a thought Fedora Unity has been pondering on, at popular demand.
>> I'm as far as getting Revisor into shape to do the job.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen
>> -kanarip
> Jeroen,
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you mean by this that, effectively,
> there'd be a kind of menu that would allow, more or less, different
> "spins" or flavors of Fedora to be installed from the same installation
> media by default?

Basically, yes. One option in the menu would only need the first CD
(server install, 'minimum', or 'best minimum' packages), other options
may need more then one CD. One other thing Fedora Unity has been
pondering about is OEM installation discs, with what the Fedora Project
thinks is the best installation default for a OEM vendor to install.
This could very well go on the same (set of) media, of course, although
the "best default" may need more then 1 CD, in which case we'd point
vendors to the DVD.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip