Server Spin

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Jan 21 00:05:47 UTC 2009

David Huff wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> I agree that this would be a good scenario, however what I am looking
> for is ideas on what should be included in that %package section and how
> can we deliver this.  If we can get a good minimal package set defined
> and accepted by the community this could be used for many different
> applications, ie appliances, bare metal servers, or as you suggested at
> install time.
>
> My experience has been that @core will not cut it because for our
> application we also need selinux, dns, and yum, and @core also pulls in
> a lot of stuff that is not needed.  Using core and adding kernel,
> dnsclient, yum, and lokkit pulls in 156 packages and used 439M.  There
> has go to be a better way to get a minimal package set....

I think we're talking about two different things here; an Appliance OS,
and a Server Spin.

An Appliance OS first of all should not even be built using a yum
install; A real appliance would rebuild packages removing dependencies
not needed by said appliance, and tweaking options building it for the
hardware it's going to run on. Also, the AOS is a running system or live
spin based on the idea it has to be minimal, which of course has it's
benefits but differs fundamentally nonetheless.

Second is the Server Spin, which should just give you a server you can
then turn into a full-blown Fedora 10 Desktop Server if you want;
starting out with the absolute minimum packages doesn't make sense here,
but what you'd want is 1) the installation to complete as fast as
possible, 2) the overhead of installing then updating to be as small as
possible, 3) simple media for the cheap CD-ROM drive you're only going
to use once or twice, while not having to exchange discs, and 4) the
system to be in a running state ready to be used after installation
(including sshd running and a root password set which cannot be done
with a live spin released by the Fedora Project). The fundamental
difference is the Server Spin (on installation media) would just help
you take the first stab at installing a system without going through the
package selection dialog, maybe strip down the packages yet still have a
fully functioning system (instead of a system designed to do one
specific thing like an appliance).

> Also how do we deliver it? Should this just be a kisckstart snippet with
> only a %package section?  If so this could possible be included in the
> kickstart pool.  or should this be a new comps group?

Kickstart is for package selection, comps for grouping packages. You can
see how one complements the other, but not vice-versa.

> I have also included a package list of all the packages that are
> installed using @core and including adding kernel, dnsclient, yum, and
> lokkit

I'm not sure which of these packages you would want to strip off. If
yum, then again that brings out a fundamental difference between an
Appliance OS and a Server Spin (on installation media).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip