[Fedora-spins] When to rebrand fedora?

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Thu Jul 31 12:04:44 UTC 2008

Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>> Since we're on the topic, I've also suggested on the "new trademark
>>> policy" wiki page[1], that rebranding should not be required in case
>>> you hand out a presentation or demo in case of an ISV, if you have
>>> built it upon Fedora and are simply handing it out to attendees of
>>> your session (which kinda equals to limited distribution, e.g.
>>> non-public). Same might apply to downstream vendors distributing
>>> appliances (like VMWare used to distribute .vmx files for some
>>> operating systems/distributions?)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> This sounds really reasonable! If this would be well defined and then
>> added to the trademark policy, it would be, in my opinion, a real
>> improvement.
>
> So.. I kicked this off on the ISV list, and here was the original scenario.
>
> <orig>
> I have a question. The other day I put out a sugar desktop appliance [1]
> based on F9. It was pointed out that I violated the fedora trademark
> policies. I did some digging, and the relevant page seems to be [2].
>
> My question is what is a "modification". If you look at my kickstart
> file [3], you see that I did 2 things which could be it:
>
> a) I added package from a foreign repo that is also in fedora (xulrunner)
> b) I added packages to to the appliance from a foreign repo
>
> [1] http://sugar.s3.amazonaws.com/sugarAppliance.tar.gz
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/legal/trademarks/guidelines/page5.html
> [3] http://sugar.s3.amazonaws.com/sugar.ks
> <orig>
>
> My hope was that item (a) caused me to have to re-brand not item (b).
> Since item (b) is what would be required for appliances and live cds. It
> sounds like both A and B are issues. I will put these on the new
> guidelines pages to disucss.
>
> -- bk

Well... if I got it right - and feel free to correct me ;) - the current
situation is  that item (a) and (b) both force you to rebrand your spin
/ appliance, since they are non-Fedora bits :(

I had the same situation two weeks ago or so. I had created an education
spin using an external repository, since we wanted to use already KDE
4.1. But I didn't remove fedora-logos, so we needed to "pull the plug".
(http://sdziallas.joyeurs.com/blog/2008/07/pulling-the-plug.html)

I'm really in favor of such a trademark policy change, since it
simplifies the whole thing quite a lot. One wouldn't need to rebrand the
whole spin, when it stays non-public. At least, a kind of clarification
on this topic would be definitely useful, since apparently, I'm not the
only one, who didn't remove fedora-logos at first. Well, you asked for
clarification, but I think this should be clearly stated somewhere in
the wiki, in which cases one needs to rebrand - or not.

Sebastian