[Fedora-spins] lzma + squashfs status update

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Dec 9 01:25:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 15:10:58 -0600,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> Phillip Lougher posted a patch set for lzma + squashfs this morning on lkml.
> So it seems very likely that 2.6.33 will get this feature and that it would
> be possible for it to be in F13.

Today Lougher posted some info indicating there is a devel branch of
squashfs-tools that supports lzma compression. Having livecd-creator
use lzma compression shouldn't be too difficult. There are some questions
about how it might use it. (e.g. optional or always, what about building
images with older kernels, etc.)

I started pestering people to let me do stuff. I'd like to take a shot
at building a rawhide squashfs-tools using the devel version and supplying
some patches to livecd-creator to make this work. Hopefully to have something
testable before the feature freeze. Hopefully enough in advance to let
spin owners consider taking advantage of extra space that may be provided.

My feeling is that this isn't really a feature, but since it impacts the
spins I think we need a good idea on whether or not it will work acceptably
pretty early on.