[Fedora-spins] Withdrawing the Sugar Spin

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Feb 20 22:49:38 UTC 2009

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'd like to announce the retraction of the Sugar Spin [1] for F11 (and
>> other releases). It's development won't be ceased, but merged into
>> SugarLabs 'Sugar on a Stick' project [2], since we don't want to
>> confuse our users with having various, almost identical version around.
>>
>> Because of that, the fedora-livecd-sugar.ks, as well as the images
>> being hosted right now, can and will be removed soonish.
>>
>> If you've any questions, please feel free to direct them to me or the
>> Sugar Development mailing list.
>>

> Hey Sebastian,
>
> That's a pity. Having talked to some of the OLPC developers myself
> during FOSDEM, I'm sure the Sugar on a Stick will be a great success,
> but not everything had been worked out yet (r/w, overlay, updating the
> stick or the software on the stick).
>
> Can't this just go side-by-side for now? The extra attention that comes
> with having a Fedora spin might help Sugar labs, and it can't hurt, right?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip

Hi Jeroen,

sorry for the late reply. Well, I was really considering this. Having a
Fedora Sugar Spin around together with Sugar on a Stick.

But there are some things, which tell me that it won't really work out.

Since Sugar is moving really fast, calling the thing SoaS allows us to
push snapshots out when we need them. In fact, Sugar is currently maybe
moving that fast, that having a 6-month release cycle (I'm aware of
alpha & beta releases, though) is just not flexible enough. On the other
hand, we're currently using an additional repo for getting the latest
Sugar version into F10. And finally, there's this HTTP hosting thing...

Asking for exceptions and getting it pushed through the process is also
work, which needs to be done. But I still see the danger of confusing
the users with two versions, which are just different with regard to the
Sugar version or some applications on them.

I hope this explains that decision a bit... thanks for your input!

Best Regards,
--Sebastian

P.S.: I'll post another e-mail with some more stuff concerning the
Education Spin soonish...