[Fedora-spins] Fedora Unity re-spins

Paul W. Frields pfrields at redhat.com
Sun Jan 18 15:46:28 UTC 2009

As you might be aware already, Red Hat Legal has been working on the
text for a licensing agreement that will be used to formally give
permission for groups outside the Fedora Project to use the Fedora
name in their domains, group names, and so forth.  Red Hat recognizes
there is great value in this to Fedora and Red Hat itself, so the
intent is to have the agreement cover uses to which we know people are
putting the Fedora trademarks now.

One of those uses is the Fedora Respins.  I want to make sure that the
agreement is explicitly allowing coverage of the Respins, but to do
that I wanted to make sure I have the construction clear in my mind.
If the Fedora Respins include software that Fedora hasn't explicitly
released verbatim, like a patched anaconda, I want the trademark
license agreement to permit that use.  If patches to anaconda are now
being mainlined by its upstream, regardless of whether they're issued
in an updated package, then the language might need to be slightly
different.

Jeroen, can you tell me what the current process is for issuing
Respins, and where, if any, packages or content on the Respins differ
from what Fedora has officially released in its software repositories?
Then I can make sure the proper language gets into the agreement.
Once I have that agreement in hand, I'll send a copy to the
appropriate contact for Fedora Unity (along with its other
destinations) to be executed.