[Fedora-spins] problems creating official spins locally

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon May 18 14:02:27 UTC 2009

At last week's meeting I volunteered to create a simple wiki page to
help anyone build one of the official spins and also build some of the
spins for testing.

I ran into several problems doing this last week.  Some were
self-inflicted (running out of disk space in the root partition), but
others were more mysterious.  Like kicking off the livecd-creator,
watching it download all the needed packages and start to yum install
them, only to watch it hang on several occasions after installing 400 or
500 packages.

1) Is building live CDs on Fedora 10 for Fedora 11 a bad idea?

2) Where can I collect troubleshooting information on why the yum
install process hangs?  Nothing obvious in /var/log/messages

3) What is the best way to cleanly abort a failed/hung live CD creation?
  I ended up having to reboot my system to unmount the loop devices and
clean up all the space taking in /var/tmp because killing the process or
trying to force unmount the loop device didn't work.

Thanks,
John