[Fedora-spins] Fedora 12 LXDE Spin images are broken

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Nov 19 01:40:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:23:42 +0100,
  Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I can only test what I'm told to test. I tested all the nightlies and
> all worked. I didn't even know there were images at
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/12-RC.4/ and according to
> Bill these were not really the rc4 images but the final ones. So were
> were this rc images that you mentioned at the beginning of your mail?

There were email messages about the RC candidates, though not on the Spins SIG
list. I think the expectation was that testing nightlies would be good enough.
Now we know differently. Though it would be nice to know what was different
so that we can make the nightlies better.

They really were RC4 images. RC4 was the last release candidate and hence
those images also became the final release. (Unlike the kernel release
process, the Fedora release process has release candidates being release
candidates.)

> For the next release I suggest to send a mail to every spin owner and
> tell him to test each image rel-eng makes. I'm sure owners and the SIG
> will be happy to help rel-eng wherever they can.

I don't think sending individual messages to spin owners by releng can be
expected. I think it should be expected that spin owners are subscribed to
the spins-sig list and that maybe this list should be copied along with
the other lists (I think the messages went out to the test list) when new
RCs are announced.