[Fedora-spins] kickstart help

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 29 05:43:02 UTC 2010

On 28/08/10 19:48, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a kickstart file to automate the installation of F13
> on a headless machine (no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, all there is a
> CPU). I created a kickstart with the help of system-config-kickstart,
> and added it to a F13i386 dvd using powerIso.
Interesting, I have no idea if that could work.

> I placed this ks.cfg in
> (1) the top dir of the iso, and (2) in the isolinux dir (I made two
> different isos and tried them on a VM). Is there anything more I need to
> do?

> Since the machine has no keyboard or anything, I need the process to be
> *fully* automated.
Can you develop the boot/kickstart/ with kvm plugged in, and then when
finalised remove the kvm ?

Or in vnc (server) mode, so that you have a gui on another machine (ie
need network card).

To what point does the boot get ?
I would expect that without parameters like text being placed in the
(equivalent of) grub for the iso, there would be a 30 second timeout (on
the grub screen), then the disk check and so on, that you would need the
keyboard for.

You are going to have to put partition info in the kickstart...

Have you read the wiki regarding this stuff ?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/HowItWorks
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options
 maybe:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-modules.html

(el5 some stuff has changed since (fedora 6) eg repo ):
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-options.html

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

You might also like to post your work in progress (eg at fpaste.org),
and provide a link here, so that people can take a look.