[Fedora-spins] Board SWG questions for Spins Owners

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 15:50:49 UTC 2010

Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert at googlemail.com) said:
> [snipped]
> >
> > Given the present situation:
> >
> >    1. Has any Spin found the present situation unduly restrictive?
> >          1. If so, how specifically?
>
> A spin is defined as installable Live-CD. This means it must ship
> anaconda and firstboot. firstboot requires system-config-keyboard
> requires metacity requires GConf2 and tons of other GNOME stuff. There
> are other dependency chains as well (e.g. notification-daemon), but this
> is the worst one.

I'm not sure what your objection is here. Are you objecting to the
fact that it must be a LiveCD, the fact that the LiveCD installer
uses anaconda/firstboot, or the dependencies of anaconda/firstboot?

The first is a policy issue that could be redressed. The second is
unlikely to change (and would imply you'd be signing up to write your
own if you didn't want to use anaconda/firstboot, which I can't imagine
is what you want), and the third probably requires patch submissions.

(Note: due to the requirements for a window manager at installation
time, anaconda may very well require metacity in the near future.)

> For example, there is a package called gconf2-branding-openSUSE which
> contains all the modified GConf schemas. By replacing this package, you
> can change the complete settings of the GNOME desktop. This would be
> useful for us too, think of a GNOME based Fedora Mini Spin for Netbooks,
> that wants to use another other panel layout. We cannot do this in
> Fedora ATM, but it is possible.

What prevents you doing in in Fedora? Have you submitted a package
review, or an example spec?

Bill