[Fedora-spins] Application as spins-wrangler

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jan 30 02:09:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 15:54:36 -0700,
  Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> As we are just sitting in the "Future of spins" session, I am throwing
> my head in the ring to become the next Fedora Spins wrangler.

Note the wrangler position is intended to be different than the leader.
The wrangler position is more doing initial once over of kickstart files
and acting as liason to releng. Other people should in theory be helping the
wrangler with reviews and can help with wiki updates.

We really the leader position filled. There are gaps in process documentation
and there has been some push back some of the minimum standards for
acceptable ks files (relating to technical issues) that were decided before
or around the time I started helping. There also aren't good guidelines
on why we might reject spin proposals for nontechnical reasons. The leader
needs to set goals to fix these things and delegate tasks to people to
do draft policy and the like and get consensus for acceptible policies.
The leader should also have some vision of why we have spins to help
develop technical goals for making better spins and for judging what makes
sense to be a spin or at least an official kickstart file. Being able to
inspire other people to help out is also a big plus.

We also need participation from the various spin groups. If you make up the
rules all by yourself, you might find it hard to enforce them. We need buy
in from the groups that are affected by them.