[Fedora-spins] oVirt Node Fedora 16 Spin

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 15:11:07 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 10:30 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 13:40:00 -0400,
>   Perry Myers <pmyers at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Right.  oVirt Node is no different from any of the other Live spins in
>> that regard.  It can both be run Live/stateless or installed to disk.
>> We just highlight the 'install to disk' presently functionality because
>> it maps to the current use case for RHEVH/RHEVM product that Red Hat has.
>>
>> Other use cases may not require the 'install to disk' functionality.
>> For example, standalone usage via the virt-manager-tui or integration
>> with the Condor Cloud feature.
>>
>> Besides, don't the other spins provide an option to install to hard disk?
>
> Yes they do.
>
> The issue I am trying to avoid is that if we treat ovirt as a live spin,
> it breaks some previously set rules, and there isn't a well functioning spins
> SIG to make exceptions.

Can you point us to those rules?  I have to admit ignorance in that I
wasn't aware there were specific rules about what constitutes a spin.

> Also this is the third different base for a mini spin. There really should
> be some work done to have nested levels of smallness so that work can
> be reused. But this probably isn't going to happen any time soon, and may
> not be a good reason to hold up a new spin.

Agreed on having a consistent mini-spin.  It seems to me that a Spin SIG
would be the right group to standardize on that mini-spin package set.

But to hold up acceptance of this particular spin due to the fact that
there isn't a properly functioning Spin SIG seems unfair.

Perry