[Fedora-spins] Spins issue

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 1 16:20:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I was going through some email this morning I saw that the Spins
> SIG is concerned that the Cloud SIG hasn't followed the Spins process
> to get their "ec2" labeled Spin included in the spins-kickstart
> collection in git:

I've talked to Dennis about this already, and this was simply a
miscommunication on his part.

As we're moving towards having Koji generate the release images for
EC2, he needed a place to store the EC2 kickstart file so that it was
public and being tracked in revision control, and so that Koji could
pull the kickstart file when it generated the images.  As I understand
it (and I'm sure Dennis will correct me if I'm wrong), Koji can either
pull from packages.fedoraproject.org or from the spins git repo.  So,
to make a long story short, Dennis put the EC2 kickstart file in the
spins git repo out of convenience.  He wasn't trying to say that EC2
was a spin.

I've got to admit that I never saw the EC2 images as being a spin per
se, but that's certainly a discussion we can have going forward.  As I
re-read through the Spins guidelines, it's still not clear to me how
this would even qualify as a spin -- it's really a different animal
than our traditional spins.  At the same time, I think it needs a lot
of the same process for review, oversight, and QA that we currently
have in place for spins, so there might be some ability to roll the
cloud images into the spins concept.  I'm certainly open to comments
and suggestions either way.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader