[Fedora-spins] KDE kickstarts (CD vs. 2G)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 13 19:24:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just to clarify the situation of the 2 versions of the KDE kickstart:

The plan for the KDE spin hasn't really changed: What we want shipped and
mirrored is the CD. We now have all the really important software on the CD,
thanks to xz SquashFS.

What changed is that we decided in the KDE SIG meeting on Tuesday that it's
not useful to do a 1 GiB version, considering the above. What is useful is a
version with all the kde-l10n stuff on it, and also kdeedu etc., but 1 GiB
isn't sufficient for that. So we decided in the meeting to go for 2 GiB (or
whatever size between 1 and 2 GiB turns out to be needed to ship a complete
KDE SC + popular KDE applications) for the alternate kickstart.

But the 2 GiB kickstart is not the one we'll get shipped, mirrored etc. It's
just an alternative for those who want "everything" (KDE-related). :-)

        Kevin Kofler