[Fedora-spins] Fedora 17 LXDE Panel - Feedback please

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 10 21:58:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

the best place for your questions is the Fedora LXDE mailinglist at
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/lxde - but I'm going to
respond to your questions here nevertheless. :)

Am Donnerstag, den 31.05.2012, 17:29 +0900 schrieb nomnex:
> I used to run F-15 LXDE on my notebook. the LXDE Panel was 0.56. I had
> so many issues with it on my system, I had to install the XFCE panel,
> and a few other XFCE dependencies (e.g. Thunar). I am not running a
> light LXDE DE anymore, which I miss.

For the record: There was not much for me to do as your issues were rare
and hard to reproduce.

> How about F-17 LXDE? Are the panel bugs fixed?

F15 had 0.5.6 as latest version, F17 comes with 0.5.8. I just built
0.5.9 for all branches from F15-rawhide. Please test it.

> And what's the minimum RAM requirement?

According to the release notes it is still 768 MB [1]. I am a little
surprised because I thought that it was just an anaconda bug in F16 that
cause this high requirement and I expected that bug to be fixed. Seems
that did not happen, but IIRC it should install on 640 MB, too.

> If the F-17 LXDE feedback is good, I will give it a try. If the panel
> is still so problematic on some machines, I will install the XFCE
> Spin this time.

Long story short: The panel has improved but is still buggy. Please give
the F17 spins a try, update it completely and if you are still unhappy,
you can switch to Xfce easily with yum and without re-installing.

Kind regards,
Christoph

[1]
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Welcome_to_Fedora_17.html#sect-Release_Notes-Hardware_Overview