[Fedora-spins] policy for systemd preset files for spins?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 02:23:05 UTC 2012

Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
> See this ticket:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/945
>

>   A spin preset (or whatever they're called) sounds like a reasonable idea.
>   We seem to have procedures and guidelines for distro-wide defaults now
>   (file bugs against systemd); do we have anything for presets that are
>   local to spins (e.g. what numeric precedence they get, what they're
>   called, etc.)? If not, what needs to happen to create them?

>   This should be discussed, and a proposal brought forward.

You'd theoretically want it to take effect when creating the live image,
which implies in the spin-kickstart's file's %pre. That's a glorious hack,
however.

A cleaner way to do it is to *package* it in in a spin specific package that
gets pulled in by the appropriate spin early in the transaction so it's
there for all services. So, for example, fedora-release requires:

spin-preset

and you have a myspin-release package that provides:

spin-preset.

And you then have some generic-preset package for the DVD install.

Of course, this is back-of-the-envelope design one drink into the evening -
I'm open to better ideas.

Bill