[Fedora-spins] Proposal: Spins process amendment for Fedora 20 cycle

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Jul 5 17:56:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 11:03:02 -0600,
   Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

>At Alpha:
>
>* The image boots with any method
>
>At Beta:
>
>* The image boots with all supported live media boot methods.

How are those criteria different than alpha and beta? What are the
exact methods being proposed for testing? I know of optical media,
dd to usb drive, livecd-iso-to-disk to usb drive, but I think there is
another uitlity as well. Optical media testing costs people money to test.
Are these tests to vms or real hardware?
What arches need to be tested?

>Each approved spin MUST have at least 2 people fill in the Basic spin
>test matrix for at least 1 TC or RC. If the image fails, maintainers

So they have to be the same inage? (i.e. Can two different people successfully
test different images to qualify or they they both need to test the
same image?)

>The http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins page will be
>enhanced with a 'Alpha/Beta/Final' field, where we can note what spins
>are in what state.

Who is going to do this? (Both from a do the work and is authorized to
say that sufficient testing was done and that the tests were successful,
perspectives.)

>- Is 2 people too many? Should it just be 1? or More?

Realistically it will be hard to get 2 people to test some of the spins
in the current environment. That doesn't mean we can't require it, but there
could be some frustration down the road for people who work on spins and
can't convince someone else to help them with testing.

>- Is there a good way to make sure all spins maintainers are aware of
>  these changes and are not surprised by them?

In theory they are all supposed to be reading the spins list, but each
spin is supposed to have at least one documented maintainer with an email
address to reach them at and it might be nice to send them one off email
given the significance of this change.

I am guessing the above applies to getting ISOs produced for the releases
and will not (immediately) affect the status of their ks in the kickstart
packages.

>Anything else?

Are we going to try to implement freezes for spins for F20 or is that
something we want to put off until later?