[Fedora-spins] Proposal: Spins process amendment for Fedora 20 cycle

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 10 00:11:19 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-06 10:50, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

>>> Bear in mind that anything you decide here should be applicable to
>>> the Gnome live spin as well.
>> The KDE and Desktop (Gnome) spins are not included here, as they are
>> release blocking, so they already have their own critera.
>
> Our release blocking criteria is not limited to Gnome and KDE but all
> spins. ( same thing should apply to primary/secondary arch as well
> from my pov )
>
> If our criteria cant cover that then that's a design flaw as I see it
> in our criteria process because it should be sufficient for spins
> having to meet what is defined there and apply to the bits the
> relevant spin ships and that's something we ( QA ) need to fix.

Well, it depends what you mean by 'apply to'.

They don't 'apply to' spins beyond GNOME and KDE in the sense that we
block the release if the criteria aren't met for any other spin. We
don't.

But you can say they 'apply to' other spins in the sense that, if you're
trying another spin, you can use the release criteria and validation
test case set as a guide, sure.

> Our QA first and foremost function as I see it is to cover the
> installer,base/core OS and X any testing outside that should be
> handled by the relevant sub community.
> Gnome desktop users for Gnome,KDE for KDE XFCE/LXDE and so on.

In practice, I don't think we can get away with passing off testing of
the 'release blocking' desktops to SIGs.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey