[Fedora-spins] RFC 4 - Make building package not require commits

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jun 26 17:26:23 UTC 2013

Currently when building a new spin-kickstarts package a new commit is needed
after changing configure.ac and spin-kickstarts.spec.in. This is kind of
awkward when trying to build a new package based on a specific commit
used to build an RC (especially if other commits have been added since
the one we are targeting).

I won't work on this until after spin-kickstarts.spec.in isn't being
maintained in the git repo any more (RFC 2).

I am not sure exactly how I would like to implement this, so comments are
welcome.

My thought is that if there is a tag for the current commit that that
tag would get used as the version (which would get used in the tar ball
name). If there was no match then I was thinking of using a version
like git-<commit id prefix>.

I would change the make file to just support make dist (which would just
build a tar ball) and make clean. The autotools stuff would go away.