[Fedora-spins] cleanup of spins process

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 7 13:25:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 06:26:54PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Good point. Making this up as I go along, I think we might be okay to
> > have a blanket grant of trademark use for all spins which are approved
> > by FESCo and which follow the basic Spins Guidelines — particularly,
> > all bits must be from Fedora proper. But it's probably also a good idea
> > to get some advice from Legal on whether that kind of blanket allowance
> > is a good idea.
> Agreed, email the legal@ list to get advice on a blanket allowance.
> That process change seems reasonable to me.

Actually, on review, there is an existing policy
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Trademark_approval_policy>, which
states that specific trademark approvals can be delegated to various
SIGs. In this case, that "SIG" would be FESCo; I'll look at updating
that policy's wording to be not limited to SIGs (because it seems like
the intention can't be to forbid _more_ formal Fedora teams).

And then, it seems like the trademark grant just needs to be made
explicit in the new Spins Process, which would be the "SOP" in the
above policy. (And then, of course, when it's ready, let's have that
policy and delegation approved formally by the Council.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>