Join page changes

Magnus Glantz mg at hacka.net
Sun Jan 18 19:50:28 UTC 2009

fre 2009-01-16 klockan 15:11 +0100 skrev Magnus Glantz:
> ons 2009-01-14 klockan 08:52 +0100 skrev Magnus Glantz:
> > tis 2009-01-13 klockan 11:06 -0800 skrev Karsten Wade:
> > >
> > > I'd forgotten that there is also work underway by the Websites team on
> > > a new top-level join page that replaces wiki/Join.  Does anyone here
> > > have a link to that?
> > >
> > > It is probably still helpful to have per-project information
> > > maintained by the project, on their wiki page.  There really isn't a
> > > one-size-fits-all join method for each sub-project.  Each needs to
> > > give it their own twist and details.
> > >
> > > - Karsten
> >
> > I'm not sure how a new top-level Join page could affect this. I guess the information on such a page would probably be more static.
> >
> > My thought was that even without wiki/Join and with similar information on a top-level join page, this would be still be useful..
> >
> > ..to increase the number of new contributors.
> > ..to increase contributor movement between project.
> > ..to increase multiple sub-project involvement amongst existing contributors (one person involved in more than on project).
> > ..to catch people that does not come in via the Fedora-join page.
> >
> > I'm not sure this information block have to contain information about how to join a project.
> > But of course, that would be the best thing. Though, I think that most important is that it contains information about what roles can contribute in what ways to a project.
> >
> > We discussed on IRC that creating a template for this might be a good
> > way to do it. A question about that: Is it possible to create a template
> > that can include or exclude images/text depending on what the template
> > user wants? Each sub-project will not have contributor support for all
> > roles, so I think this is a must.
> >
> So, any more thoughts about this?
> Simple table, more advanced table or nothing at all?
>
> I guess, if the new join page being worked on contains completely
> different content, like, different roles or such, it would be best to
> wait for the new join page.
>
> I've asked the fedora-websites-list to see if they know.
>
> Placing "join this project" tables that explain how to contribute on the
> sub-project pages would only take a hour or two. Using a template would
> perhaps be a bit to complicated? KISS? :-)

Websites people say that the wiki/Join page still will contain "roles",
it is suggested (not decided it seems) that the top level join page also
will, although displayed in a more brochure kind of way.

In the bottom of the top level join page there will be a link to the
wiki/Join page.

So, anyway, I take that as a go-ahead to use "roles" on the sub-project
page. If there isn't any more thoughts about this I'll go ahead and
implement this on each sub-project page. Sub-projects can them fill in
any blanks.

--
Best regards,
Magnus 'magnusg' Glantz