FedoraProject page Main Page has been changed by Gtbono

Nigel Jones nigjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 22:37:18 UTC 2009

----- "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:16:01AM -0500, susan_lists at ties.org wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > If we can semi-protect ala wikipedia I'm in favor of that. If
> not,
> > > then let's deal with these as they come. I think that enough of
> us
> > > have watches on these important pages that we can revert any
> vandalism
> > > quickly. Let's not over-react to one incident here.
> > >

> > I agree.
> >
> > But this might be a good time to remind people - on other lists too
> since I
> > gather they are not all here yet - that everybody who writes to the
> wiki
> > should be watching any pages they help out with (write, help write,
> or even
> > use a lot).  The more active watchers the better.
>
> There is a configuration option to automatically watch all pages that
> you edit or create.  I don't believe it is set by default.
>
> What do you think about:
>
> 1. Making that setting on by default, and
+/-0
To many combos to choose from, and it's NOT HARD for someone to do it themselves...

My Preferences->Watchlist->SELECT->Save

I have little indifference here, if people can agree on a specific combination then okay, they can be defaults for new contributors...

> 2. Changing that setting to on in the database for all existing
>    contributors?
-1
Please lets not make the wiki a 'nanny state' it's not worth it, if I had my way I'd be configuring the setting "Prompt me when entering a blank edit summary" because blank summaries annoy me, I've had ample opportunity, but I haven't.

> Here's the thing -- we don't usually like changing defaults for
> people, except where we change stuff all the time that is a default.
> I think it's OK that we change that for people with existing
> accounts,
> but would only want to do it where someone didn't already set another
> value.  An example is the CSS -- we change it sitewide so all receive
> it, but if someone is using a custom stylesheet, we don't change
> that,
> too.
The database doesn't allow us to make that assumption, hence why we've only been changing user defaults for search when we've added new namespaces...

- Nigel