Spins Pages

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 00:15:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:54:42AM +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> These would just create a link to a page, won't they? This doesn't
> really allow us to track the Spins with (for example) categories such as
> Category:Incomplete_Spins, Category:Spins_Ready_For_SIG, etc. Then for a
> given release, say 11, we'd want accepted spins to be aggregated into
> some kind of page we do not have to update ourselves, since we're
> already doing the categorization and changes. However, this just
> reflects how we think about it now, if there's any other ideas of how to
> automate more of this in a different manner... ;-)

Well you can track them with the categories themselves. I'm not exactly
sure what you're saying/asking here.

> Anyway, the other question we have is concerning recurring releases; say
> /XFCE_Spin has been accepted for Fedora 11, and is added to category
> Spins_F11, we wouldn't want the F11 version of the page to be changed,
> and we would want it to be retrievable, too. However, if we create
> separate pages; XFCE_Spin_F11, XFCE_Spin_F12, there's no way to tell
> whether this spin has gone through the process before except for a
> manual search on the Wiki visiting each page and tracking down whether
> it has gone through the process properly.
>
> Bearing in mind that Spin SIG approval only happens once, and Board
> trademark approval only happens once, these recurring releases would
> gain with not having to create release-specific Spins pages.

I would say do it the XFCE_Spin way, then. And you can link to a
specific revision if you want (go to the history page, it's the link on
the timestamp that will show you that revision)

> Again, I'm open to suggestions but here's what we came up with thusfar.
> If XFCE_Spin is accepted for Fedora 11, we add the page to
> Category:Spins_F11, and once Fedora 11 is released, we add it to
> Category:Incomplete_Spins as well. Noted, we add a link on the top of
> the XFCE_Spin page linking to the release specific revision of that
> page, so that it's release-specific version of the Spins page is
> retrievable.

Perfect.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36