WebRTC from Flock to DebConf - any volunteers?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Aug 12 19:02:49 UTC 2015

The final day of Flock in Rochester, USA is also the first day of
DebConf in Heidelberg, Germany.

DebConf will have a talk[1] about Real-time Communication (RTC)
technologies, including WebRTC, at 17:00 Central European Summer Time,
which is 11:00 Eastern US.

Both events are expecting big bandwidth-hungry crowds, but if there is
enough bandwidth, it would be really interesting to make a live WebRTC
session between fedrtc.org and rtc.debian.org as part of my talk.

If the session doesn't work at that time, we could also try something
later in the day, possibly giving Flock attendees an opportunity to
remotely gatecrash the Debian birthday[2]

Is there anybody who would like to collaborate with me on this?

If you are not sure and you just want to test it, you should be able to
just login at https://fedrtc.org and call somebody else who is logged in
at the same time.  As described in my blog[3], it uses OpenID with FAS
to help you create a special password just for SIP, WebRTC and soon
XMPP.  You can try reaching me (pocock) on IRC if you can't find anybody
else to test with.

Of particular importance, the technology itself is fully federated and
the software is all packaged.  The fedrtc.org domain is running on a
CentOS 7 + EPEL7 box while the rtc.debian.org site is running on a
Debian wheezy system.

1.
https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/317/free-communications-with-free-software/

2. https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/320/debian-birthday-party/