Prepaid USA SIM with voice/text/data plan

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 16:20:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:37:37 -0600
Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:

<snip>

> pay-as-you-go:
>   - Add multiples of $10, $20, $30 or $100 to the account using
> prepaid cards (or a credit card, but I suspect buying the topup cards
> will be easier)
>
>   - Data costs $0.30 per MB, phone calls are $0.05/minute, sms are
>     $0.05 and mms are $0.10 - all of this would be deducted from the
>     amount deposited with the topup cards. If you bought a $20 topup
>     card, that would be ~ 66M of data if you didn't call or text
>
> Monthly:
>   - $40 for a month of "unlimited" text/call/data, $50 gives you
>     international calling
>
>   - can be paid with a topup card bought ahead of time - don't have to
>     give them your credit card

To make it simpler, including SIM costs for h2o you'd have:

$20 - 33M data OR 200min calling OR 200 sms
$30 - 66M data OR 400min calling OR 400 sms
$40 - 100M data OR 600min calling OR 600 sms (or some combination)
$50 - "unlimited" data/text/calling
$60 - "unlimited" data/text/calling + some international calls

With readysim (7 day sims), you'd have:

$20 - "unlimited" talk and sms
$25 - "unlimited" talk and sms, 500M data

readysim is clearly cheaper and less complicated for a short visit but
it seems designed for that while h2o is a better deal if you're paying
for a whole month or if you have a phone that can't handle tmo-us's
network.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to matter a whole lot which option
we end up using. If we're talking about buying a bunch of SIMs for
"resale" at flock, readysim sounds like the way to go - it's cheaper,
less complicated and will work with at least 2G data on pretty much all
GSM phones. I'm not sure that the added complication of having 2
options or a more expensive option that requires the purchase of
multiple cards is worth it but then again, I don't use much data on my
phone; not having it for a couple of days wouldn't affect me much.

Tim