Visa problems

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 15:45:45 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Best procedure for next year would be that the host location provides a list
> of countries that request a Visa. Every embassy should have this information
> available.
>
> This info has been provided with every FUDcon Proposal so my question is; why
> was it different for Flock?

It's not a bad idea but I'd prefer not do it - we are not ministry, visa
requirements may change pretty often (*), so it's better to look it up on
official pages. And I expect Fedora guys are clever enough to Google it :).
On the other hand, as Flock is US and Europe (most of the countries are in
Schengen area), it's pretty simple to get such list.

I know all other conferences has issues with visa policies, even for FUDCon in
China many folks has issues. You can ask people to apply earlier but many
embassies refuse to do it, or visa are time limited etc. So really - there
are not many options. Just be prepared - like invitation letters in advance
(but again, different embassies of the same country could have different
requirements even for invitation letters).

(*) for example our FUDCon China trip - I applied for visa on Friday, paid
50 euros, Jiri applied next Monday, he paid 30 euros (and probably less
strict requirements). Our governments just signed an agreement with China...

Jaroslav