Visa problems

Sarup Banskota sbanskota08 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 20:28:08 UTC 2014

Told this to Ruth off-list, thought I should share this here as well:

For the tickets, there's completely refundable tickets with most airlines.
So one way to go about it is to book them (slightly more expensive) and
cancel them once the Visa news is available. Then you could just book the
cheaper non-refundable/refundable-for-low-cost tickets if the Visa is in
place. Of course, this only works if you're booking the first set of
tickets well in advance, so it leaves you with enough time to apply for
Visa and then book the second set at a reasonable cost.

I got granted my Visa, valid for 6 months when I had asked for just 5 days.
Things that helped my case:
-  *Absolute reason for return*. I'm still in University, so I had them
write me a document that declares that I'm expected to return after the
conference is over if I want my degree. It also clearly mentions my period
of study.
-  *Direct Tickets*. My tickets from India are via Istanbul, such that
Prague (CZ) is the first Schengen region I enter. Although it's apparently
rare, I came across situations on the internet where people had problems
flying through a different Schengen country.
- *Proper funds*. Even though my bank balance was quite low, I made it
clear that my tickets and hotel were already paid for, and I had enough for
food and emergency. I also had my father write a letter declaring he'll
sponsor any expenses I incur.
- *History*. Of course, this is not in one's hands, but having a history of
travel on your passport seems to help.

So.. what conference organizers can do to help? If you're booking tickets,
book refundable ones really early and encourage the attendee to apply early.
What attendees can do to help? Research the Embassy site carefully, give
them a call, and make sure you emphasize that you have a proper reason to
return + enough funds for expenses.

Hope this helps! :)