Conference recordings

Wilbur K Smith wilbur.k.smith at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:59:17 UTC 2014

I folks,
For last year, I know we used a Terradek steaming box with a camcorder for the keynotes, but the room sessions were conference call, IRC, and webcams.

It would be great to have hardware streamers and DV cameras for all the breakout sessions, but unless someone can loan/donate them, that may not be possible.

I did some investigations on options last year and didn't find many low-cost solutions better than what we ended up doing using in Charlotte.

A year later though, I think we have some new options:

1) Google Hangouts may be a better option. It has good multi-camera support, runs in Fedora after a bit of hacking, and can auto-record the sessions to You Tube.

2) TeamViewer seems to be the best multi-platform remote access &conference solution available today. They have added lots of support for conference calls: it supports a Q&A system, can record sessions,  and it also controls the dial-in system automatically.

Team Viewer has clients for Linux, Mac, and Windows, but I don't think there's a browser only option, so folks will need to at least install the basic "quick launch" client.

If we decide to go the Team Viewer route, they have a non-commercial option that's free. I use this quite a bit for family tech support and it's pretty good. This version may not have all the bells and whistles of the commercial version for large conference calls, but we could reach out to them and see if they would consider donating an enterprise license for the duration of Flock.

If others have any ideas, I'm happy to help flesh them out. I can't swing the ticket price this year, so I've got a good reason to make sure the remote access bits work well :)

-Wilbur

Sent from my iPad