Your Flock talk has been accepted!

Aditya Patawari adimania at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:26:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Ruth Suehle <rsuehle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 7:30 AM, P J P <pjp at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> > On Thursday, 4 June 2015 4:28 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> > These are all worth discussing, but the regional events are already
>> > planned for this year.  We'll need to address this after Flock, FUDCon
>> > Pune, etc.
>>
>> Or maybe at these events too, instead of after. We plan to have an
>> ambassador's panel discussion at FUDCon, IMO unified global event could be
>> one of the topic for such a panel.
>>
>> Similarly at Flock, it could be posed to the Fedora council members. Just
>> a thought, since both these events are still in the making.
>>

> Remember that this is not new. The events have always been regional. We
> simply combined the NA and EMEA two years ago. We also chose to go to a
> planned schedule, which the other regions are welcome to adopt as well.
> (Someone told me that the early FUDCons were done this way as well, but I
> wasn't at all of those.)
>
> If you do discuss this at the LATAM and APAC FUDCons, I'd be happy to join
> over the phone or IRC to offer some budgetary insight. We've discussed
> subsidies on this list and at Flock before, and no one solution is going to
> satisfy everyone. But the reality is that the Flock travel budget has been
> largely consumed for both years by flights from APAC and LATAM. People in
> those regions have their own premier Fedora events and some are in a sense
> "double dipping" by being funded to attend both. The NA and EMEA people
> don't have that chance, which means by giving the bulk of the travel
> funding to APAC and LATAM, we were taking away any chance for the NA and
> EMEA people to attend a premier Fedora event while the APAC and LATAM
> contributors were getting two chances.

FUDCon does sponsor partial travel subsidy (full in one or two cases) for a
few NA and EMEA contributors. We would love to do more but there are budget
constraints.

We did discuss whether it was logical to combine all of the global premier
> event budgets into one and have a single event. I added up people who
> received subsidies last year in APAC and LATAM. If we were to fund the same
> number of people with the ENTIRE LATAM and APAC FUDCon budgets, we would be
> able to give each $500. Since most people require both hotel and flights to
> be covered (few are willing/able to travel on partial subsidies), the
> effect would be that many folks would be left with no event to attend at
> all, which to me seems like a far worse outcome than regional events.

I agree with you that it won't be logical to combine all the events. It
would just be too expensive. But, may be, we can reach a middle ground
where we can partially fund APAC and LATAM contributors. We can set a limit
on number of contributors and amount each contributor gets. I think we are
already working to get this incorporated in regional budget but that might
not be enough.