RFC: the draft of new i18n test day page

Akira TAGOH tagoh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 03:33:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm sending this mail to share it and a future plan for
that, also asking for comments if any.

* Background

The amount of the test cases are growing up every time to
cover more and more. that's basically good to make sure no
regressions. though the human resources are limited so some
test cases might needs to be cleaned up, polished, or
integrated if possible.
That said, current page[1] is being messed up due to this
and is hard to obtain the necessary information and
interests, what languages we've tested and what languages we
have issues. this is relevant to what languages the
community would support in a certain release. which we
aren't explicitly saying anything so far and possibly giving
different result per releases due to the resource
limitation.

* Proposal of changes

I want to update it to the language-based matrix instead of
tester-based. you can find the draft page out here:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tagoh/Draft/I18n_Test_Day

This would makes more visible to see the above interests.

* Future plan

I eventually want to use this matrix to indicate certified
languages list on a release once we have enough tester
resources and test cases. I think that would helps for
people who are looking for their language support in
Fedora. also helps to improve the quality of the release,
if, for instance, we can add sort of `90% of cerfified
languages in previous release at least needs to be passed
all of testing' to the release criteria.

Though I don't mean this should be applied with this
proposal at the same time. it's just an rough idea yet for
long-term plan and guess there may be someone who disagree
with it :)

Anyway, any comments are welcome!

[1] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2012-09-18_i18n

--