[Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings]

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 00:23:45 UTC 2007

I understand that some of the information might be missing, but even this is
true, I think fontconfig should come up with a somewhat better default
rendering
than what it is now. The solution might just be putting Uming/Ukai or wqy
fonts right before the Japanese "Mincho" or "Gothic" font series, simply
because
Japanese fonts do not have a large Unicode coverage than Uming/wqy (but
Uming/wqy covers Japanese code points). For Japanese locales, we can
match lang=ja and put Mincho/Gothic fonts in front of the Chinese fonts.

To remind you my motivation for keep asking for a better default Chinese
rendering, attached is a screenshot of browsing a Chinese web page under
a fresh F8 installation (en-us of course), I doubt anyone would like to
read this on a regular basis.