[Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings]

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:22:05 UTC 2007

hi

some new progress was made for the fontconfig file. The new version is
attached.

two changes:

1. for replacing wqy-bitmap-song by Chinese vector fonts for displaying
 >16px or <10px
  sizes, I changed match="font" to match="pattern", and now it works. I
used 4 match
  blocks to handle serif>16px, serif<10px, sans>16px and sans<10px cases.

2. I added a match block to solve the high-priority of wqy fonts under
zh locales and
   monospace alias. An additional test <lang contains zh> was inserted
   to the test list, to minimize the impact to non zh users.

using this config file, the rendering of en-us and zh-cn/zh-tw are all
looking fine (almost).
the screenshots of the en-us desktop is
  http://wenq.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/F8-wqy-newconfig_enUS.png
and that for zh-cn desktop is
  http://wenq.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/F8-wqy-newconfig_zhCN.png

the "almost" bits come from the fact that when users specify "WenQuanYi
Bitmap Song"
as family rather than the genetic alias, larger/smaller fonts were still
replaced by
uming/ukai (see the right-bottom corner of the two test pages). However,
this
seems to be ok for me.

just want to mention, two non-wqy bugs can be found in the screenshots

1. on the zhCN screenshot, in the sans-serif test block, the text of
"... lasy dog 0123456789"
   you can see the numbers were rendered by wqy bitmap fonts, rather
than the smooth
   Dejavu. This also happened for all Chinese webpages, when a number
follows a Chinese
   character. I was told that this is a bug in Pango, Behdad, do you
have some insight on this?

2. the date-time applet used reversed language on both screenshots, I
believe this is
   Gnome's bug.

please let me know what you think about this file.

thank you

Qianqian