[Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings]

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 21:42:57 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> This small fraction needs to organise itself, identify problems in
> Chinese font/text support, possible fixes, and relay them to upstream
> projects. For example every year freedekstop.org organises a text summit
> where pretty much every project that counts in FLOSS text rendering is
> represented:
>
> http://unifont.org/TextLayout2007/
>
> It would be extremely helpful if the Chinese FLOSS user community sent
> someone to next year's summit to list the main problems affecting
> Chinese users, and what the Chinese community feels needs to be done in
> projects like fontconfig or pango to fix them.
>
> The rest of the year having clearly identified Chinese relays people can
> ask questions to (like "if I do this will it break Chinese apps") may
> probably help too.

I fully agree with you that a representing group is needed to facilitate
the communications and speak for Chinese users on all text layout issues.
I will make contact with the related people that I know, including Arne
Gojge, the
maintainer of the Uni-fonts project, some Redhat developers in Beijing and
the Debian/Ubuntu Chinese group. I am not sure if my energy allows me
to change anything other than taking care of my project, but I will make
sure that your suggestions are passed around among those who are interested.

> By selecting  a fontconfig priority of 61 you pretty much removed
> everyone relying on fonts with a less than 61 priority from the picture.
> That leaves people relying on fonts with a more-than-61 priority to
> complain. I suspect some of them, most likely Japanese users, can still
> be negatively affected by your changes but I'm no Japanese speaker so
> that's up to Jens to confirm (or infirm). And even if Jens greenlights
> there is still the possibility of later complains causing to remove your
> changes.

I am not sure if you noticed it or not, it has a language matching block
before
strong binding to DejaVu Mono:

           <test compare="contains" name="lang">
                   <string>zh</string>
           </test>

it also matches WenQuanYi Bitmap Song in family, IMO, this strong
binding will
only happen when user is under zh locales and has WQY font installed.
So, I do
not think it will mess up Japanese fonts as it will not match the lang
tag. I tested
it under ja locale, and everything seems to be normal (the mono font was
not influenced),
the screenshot is attached.

hi Jens, I am not sure if my previous reply CCed you or not, but I want
to know your
opinion and test results on this new font config file (attached). thank you!

> Lastly for Fedora ≥ 9 we'll probably use DejaVu full not DejaVu LGC as
> default, so you may want to adapt your fontconfig file accordingly in
> Fedora-devel (you'll note DejaVu full as default got blocked for several
> releases due to the same kinds of conflicts you're encountering, and is
> only pushed now we're more confident in its non LGC parts. We try to be
> fair to everyone)

thank you for reminding me this, I will do the according adjustment if
the config file get approved.

Again, I really appreciate your careful thoughts on these issues. All the
requests are quite reasonable. I will tailor my config file as best as I
can
to avoid future complications.