[gtk-i18n-list] Re: On CJK font selection (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings])

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Dec 20 22:54:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 23:37 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 20 décembre 2007 à 17:25 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
>
> > I have two suggestions for what you can do that may achieve better
> > results for you.
> >
> >   - Run under LC_LANG=en_US LC_MESSAGES=ja_JA
> >
> >   - Choose a non-generic font family in gedit.  That is, something other
> > than Sans, Sans-serif, and Monospace.
>
> 3. Have an IM/layout switcher that explicitely declares to apps and
> pango the language which is going to be typed.

That may help when typing, but has the following problems:

  - Fonts change when you switch language.

  - To make it meaningful, your editor should store the language at the
time of typing as a tag.  Or it will lose it and void the advantage.

  - Doesn't help when copy/pasting or opening a document.

What will be helpful is, if pango could query your session and see that
you have American English and Chinese Chinese IM/layouts set, so
automatically set PANGO_LANGUAGE to en_US:zh_CN.  That is, respect your
set languages, but not necessarily follow the currently-selected one.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer*
being struck by lightning.  -- Matt Welsh