[Fedora-legal-list] Re: Bunch of new Fonts added to wishlist

Denis Jacquerye moyogo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 22:31:03 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 4:24 PM, Sarantis Paskalis <paskalis at di.uoa.gr> wrote:

> > > This one should have been passed through fedora-legal before
> > > inclusion.
> >
> > Definitely. That license is waaaay too vague as is.
> >
> > We'd need to know if:
> >
> > 1. Modification is permitted
> > 2. Redistribution is permitted (this is implied, but not explicitly
> > granted)
> > 3. Redistribution in embedded documents is permitted
> >
> > That's just for starters. The commercial copyright "advertising" clause
> > is also painfully vague.
> >
> > Someone motivated (and likely, fluent in greek), should email the
> > copyright holders and suggest that they either clarify their license, or
> > consider relicensing it with an established free license (e.g. the OFL).
>
> I will contact the author to clarify the above.  Thanks for the
> guidelines.

The outlines of Kerkis fonts look like those of URW Bookman and URW
Gothic. Kerkis has different a style of figures than URW Bookman and
has more character coverage.
If Kerkis fonts are derivatives of URW's gsfonts, then the license
should be the same as gsfonts. URW Bookman and URW Gothic are GPL'ed.

Cheers
--
Denis Moyogo Jacquerye --- http://home.sus.mcgill.ca/~moyogo
Nkótá ya Kongó míbalé --- http://info-langues-congo.1sd.org/