STIX license issues?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Aug 16 08:22:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 15:31 +0300, Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> I recall watching a Barbara Beeton's TUG talk recording that some
> people didn't like the STIX font license, and were waiting for the
> GUST Math font. Does anyone know what exactly the problems are? I see
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal_considerations_for_fonts#preferred-license)
> that Fedora considers the STIX license okay...

Though we obviously disagree with Debian on the meaning of the original
STIX license (Debians arguments were most unconvincing), we do agree
it's a badly worded license (writers of new junk font licenses should be
shot, I'm thinking about you GUST and you Liberation lawyers).
Fortunately upstream has promised OFL-ing "soon" ("soon" in STIX speak
is not the on timescale you're used to, STIX happens in a strange
slow-motion plane)

--
Nicolas Mailhot