The goose OpenType eggs holds...

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 06:19:17 UTC 2008

I suspect the person that did the work used his employers' (very)
non-free software to do the job, and said person is probably at risk
of getting fired if found out. But who says we cannot use the result
if it is GPL'd. Furthermore, the modification dates of the files
inside the archive indicates that this happened 5 years ago, so it may
be really hard to trace who did it.

Also, in my enthusiasm I omitted the fact that these fonts are based
on the ghostscript 6.0 fonts, before Cyrillic glyphs were added. E.g.,
Nimbus Roman Regular's PS Core is version 1.05, not 1.06. The Cyrillic
glyphs need to be merged in.

Probably the cleanest thing to do is redo the conversion starting with
the current version of gs-fonts (8.11). We can use the "goose" version
as model for what the result should look like (kerning, ligatures
etc.) Any experts here that can help with that?