Suffix for "Old Standard" ?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jul 24 07:59:58 UTC 2008

Le Jeu 24 juillet 2008 01:11, Dave Crossland a écrit :

> 2008/7/23 Martin-Gomez Pablo <pablo.martin-gomez at laposte.net>:
>>
>> So we need to add a suffix to the name but I'm not imaginative for
>> finding a good suffix (maybe "iced" as Nicolas propose), anyone of
>> you have an lightning idea ?
>
> Why not use a build of FF from the same time the source files were
> published?

1. Other fonts in the distro depend on a recent fontforge release. If
we start requiring one fontforge version per font we're dead.

2. While the author objects most to the current fontforge version, I'm
almost sure he'd want us to change the font name even if we used the
exact same version as his.

As the author says, we have to stand up for our own choices. Fedora
builds its content from sources. With fonts and pretty much anything
else that means aligning on a few build tool versions which are almost
certain not to be the same upstreams tested, and if this change
introduces problems, we have to track and get them fixed.

(but at least we know we can re-generate and patch our version at
will, unlike organisations that copy a pre-built version and have no
idea how to fix it in case of problems)

The author's feeling is not uncommon software-side too, you know.

I think we'll try to bump the fontforge version in fedora-devel to the
latest available upstream just before F10 beta. And then rebuild every
font depending on it. This way Fedora 10 users will have a recent
fontforge in-distro and we'll be sure all our fonts work with it.
That's what we did in previous releases.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot