The goose OpenType eggs holds...

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jul 24 15:56:42 UTC 2008

2008/7/24 Vasile Gaburici <vgaburici at gmail.com>:
> Well, in that case Fedora is in trouble already. The gyre OpenType
> fonts are already shipped by Fedora in a TeXLive package, just not
> used by pango!

TeXLive has been stripping out non-free fonts from other TeX
distributions, so perhaps those guys know more than we do.

The TeX Gyre homepage at  says "It aims at remaking and extending of
the freely available fonts distributed with Ghostscript." 'Remaking'
means they could chose their license, 'extending' means they have use
the GPL. "All of the Ghostscript text font families have become
"gyrefied" as the result of the project." suggests it is 'extending'
though.

I'm in Cork, Ireland at TUG2008 right now, so I'll ask around about
this at dinner tonight...

The Ghostscript fonts are pure GPL too, without the "Font Exception" -
which is very annoying.