Updates of liberation-fonts.

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed May 14 15:41:30 UTC 2008

> At the moment please send to this mailing list. We are still looking for
> a liberation-fonts exclusive one. :)

Hi everyone,

It's good to see the development process of Liberation opening up :-)

During the last LGM where we talked about fonts and related topics I
thought I'll clone the Liberation repo and see how I can contribute.

I've found a few things here and there and I'll be sending a few patches
in separate emails. Hope you find them useful.

The metadata in the font needs to be checked more fully. The external
reference EULA needs to be fixed. I think you'll all agree that "Use of
this Liberation font software is subject to the license agreement under
which you accepted the Liberation font software." is confusing at best.
We need the full license in the appropriate metadata field in the
various ttfs.

I'd recommend having more descriptive information about the font
project: who has done what, the Unicode coverage, etc...  added to the
source tree. A FONTLOG is a good format for that:
http://scripts.sil.org/OFL-FAQ_web#00e3bd04

I'd recommend putting back the original ttfs in the repository as a
comparison to the ones build using a free build path.

Could we also put the spec (and then possibly other packaging folder for
other systems) in the source tree as well?

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org