GNU Unifont update

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Sun May 18 14:35:23 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Does this mean the WQY fonts are deprecated now and should be replaced
> with GNU unifont ? If that's the case you need to start a rename
> procedure and modify the comps files of branches unifont will be
> pushed to.
>
> If that's not the case, and WQY and GNU Unifont fonts will exist in
> parallel from now on, we need to find a packager for GNU unifont. I'd
> say the current WQY packager is best placed to take unifont up :p

For now, maybe keeping both packages in parallel is the best.
The Latin part of GNU Unifont and WQY's Unibit have different
styles. Unibit uses "Fixed" as the Latin glyphs, combined with
the CJK characters, it gives a classical look. For example:

http://wenq.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/fedora_unibit.png
http://wenq.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/fedora_unibit_smth_full.png

This combination is still preferred by some Chinese users.

The maintaining expense for both packages is not that much though.
I would be glad to maintain GNU Unifont, or show Paul how to do that
if he wants. The spec files for both packages can be almost identical.

Unfortunately Freetype2 does not support HBF
(ftp://ftp.cuhk.hk/.1/chinese/ccic/software/info/HBF-1.1/Format.html )
otherwise, we can share common data blocks as separate files,
and make one dependent to the other.

Qianqian