Help request about hinting dev (Liberation Fonts).

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:27:04 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009, Caius Chance wrote:
> Ben Laenen さんは書きました:
> >>
> >> If you are available, it would be fantastic if you briefly tell me
> >> in 10 -15 steps?
> >
> > What do you want to know exactly?
>
> My previous experience was trying to fix hinting problems, I went
> into hinting instruction window of a glyph. Then looked at the
> hinting instructions and see if there are any problems.
>
> I am wondering about what extra you have done to a font, rather that
> just modifying hinting instructions.

You want a list of everything I've done with a font so far? :-p

In respect to hinting in DejaVu the only things you can really do is
editing existing instructions and creating new ones for the new glyphs.
Over the time CVT values were added, the fpgm table was altered etc.

After editing it's just a matter of testing it out -- you can do that
within FontForge itself (grid fit), and then check in gwaterfall if
there's not a weird problem at some size.

Only the first person who wants to work on the hinting needs to do some
work to know what the important CVT values are, and that's basically
reading the existing instructions and write down which values are used
where. It's usually pretty straightforward (if it moves a point on the
right side of the stem of "I" horizontally when the reference point 0
is a point on the left side of that stem, then you know it's the
horizontal stem width). But that requires understanding of the
instructions of course (I don't know how much you know about it,
http://www.dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hinting_tutorial/Example:_Hinting_L
should give you the real basics if you're completely new).

For hinting that's it really. I don't know what more you're expecting?