Fonts package Makefile?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Aug 16 05:55:55 UTC 2010

Le lundi 16 août 2010 à 10:54 +0530, Parag N(पराग़) a écrit :
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Where can I find a Fedora font SRPM with a makefile, from which I can
> > make one for Cantarell? :-)
> >
> > I suppose this will be a FontForge Python script; if there isn't yet
> > one, I will make one.
> >

> You can find another way implemented in
> http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/lohit/trunk/generate.pe file.

Or the ones used by DejaVu, Liberation, Andrei Panov fonts, etc
http://dejavu.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dejavu/trunk/dejavu-fonts/Makefile
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=liberation-fonts.git;a=blob_plain;f=source/Makefile
https://code.google.com/p/evristika/source/browse/trunk/Makefile

> However,
> I think Fonts SIG should decide on one single script/Makefile on
> generating binary font files from source font files which people
> should start using for newer font packages.

Well, I wouldn't mind merging one Makefile example in
fontpackages-devel, if it was clean and complete enough.
I think the basic requirement is to have the standard build, install,
dist targets, ability to set destdir, ability to set the version in
fonts, and reasonable Makefile syntax (not a script shell with loops
maskerading as makefile, a real Makefile with implicit targets).

The DejaVu Makefile is probably a good point to start from, except its
dual-generation target (lgc and non lgc) has complexified it a bit too
much (BTW the coverage scripts in fontpackages-tools could be used to
replace the ones DejaVu uses).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot