Opening up of various fonts by google

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Jun 2 13:02:32 UTC 2010

Paul Flo Williams wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> I noticed Google has recently launched its google font directory. As part
>> of this they have negotiated the opening up of various previous not
>> completely open fonts. Here a list of fonts which we have not yet packaged,
>> and which are not on the wishlist either:
>
> [snipped list]
>
> There seems to have been a flurry of packaging activity on these over the
> past week. I am slightly concerned that some of them don't seem to be
> following the naming guidelines for font packages.
>
> As an example, OFL Sorts Mill Goudy seems to have been rushed from first
> packaging to release in just six days, but there is no foundry name,
> although Google seems to be treated as upstream for this and several other
> fonts.
>
> Are we going to start using "google" as a foundry name, or take the
> original source of these, where possible?
>
> Paul

I recommend going to the upstream website for various open fonts
currently in the Google font directory, there are upstream URL links in
the METADATA files.

Also for packaging in Fedora you probably want the full version (with
more extended sources) and not the web-optimized version in the root
folder of the hg repository.

The structure of the upstream hg repository is being reworked and
reorganized with the goals to fix some metadata bugs and unneeded files
who have slipped it and move closer to the recommended ). I recommend
waiting a little bit for that to settle before doing packaging.

Cheers

--
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary