Partially hinted fonts

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Apr 2 00:18:21 UTC 2011

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> To be honest, I don't fully agree with upstream.  Autohinter and bytecode
> *can* be used together.  The results won't be optimal, but much better
> than the current output.  Maybe someone can bring up the multi-script font
> use case with upstream and convince them to reconsider.

Well, I think somebody would need to come up with a patch, too.

The current Freetype code is such that the decision whether to autohint is
taken very early, much before the glyph is even loaded at all. So there are
also technical obstacles to implementing per-glyph fallback.

Unlike upstream, I do think that the fallback should be per glyph, not per
font, but I don't know how to implement this.

        Kevin Kofler