Liberation 2.0 Vs Liberation 1.0 (Need comments)

pravin.d.s at gmail.com pravin.d.s at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 06:45:42 UTC 2012

On 7 December 2012 18:00, Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:

> > No worries. Simply yum update will revert this change. :)
> > Building liberation 1.07.2-11 with epoch for F18
>
> Perfect, thanks Pravin. It's good to switch to a new technology, but just
> when it is really ready, not sooner. I'm very glad about the decision that
> was made.

This is not matter of readiness of technology. Liberation 2.0 is definitely
ready. If you see the coverage of Liberation 2.0 it is 4 times to
Liberation 1.

   - *Latest Version - Older Version*
   - 2302 (sans) - 667
   - 2274 (mono) - 666
   - 2303 (serif) - 662

1. We have reverted this only because problem of *backward
compatibility*with hinting output. It is sad actually for hinting
results of 600
characters, we are not able to provides Fedora users 1800 additional
characters.

2. Main goal of Liberation fonts is to providing compatibility fonts for
Windows fonts Arial, Times New Roam and Courier. Presently coverage of
these Windows fonts is huge. So just think if documents cover other
characters than existing coverage of Liberation, and someone open same
document in Fedora, will user get his intended layout?
are we still achieving our main goal of providing compatibility fonts to
users?

problem is something different and we need to think on that. I will see if
i can do something for Fedora 19.

Regards,
Pravin Satpute