conky-colors fonts included in package

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jun 14 13:17:42 UTC 2012

Le Jeu 14 juin 2012 00:23, Bersam K a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I want to maintain new package called conky-colors, i found that this
> package included some fonts. i ask a friend (maintainer) and he told me
> that i have make separate packages for each font. but in case, these are
> not really alphabet fonts, they just used for svg in conky. like weather
> font that included some shape of sun, moon, wind, raining, etc. or some
> clocks.
> now i want to know that i have to make sub packages?

Yes you'll have to make font (sub) packages for each font family you need to
use, and check each supackage for legal and technical problem

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:FontsPolicy

Legal means a font with a licence conflicting with Fedora goals, or a font
that was constructed from bits of other fonts with conflicting licences
(either conflicting with the final licence or with Fedora legal rules)

Technical means at least checking the font does not hijack the name of another
font (causing problems in documents that reference this other font) and
checking it is properly unicode-encoded. Unicode defines standard codepoints
for many symbols (arrows, weather, etc) and a Private Use Area where font
authors can put symbols which have no codepoint yet.

If your upstream was careful the checks will be easy and fast.
If it was not — you're in for a world of pain cleaning up the mess before it
can be imported in Fedora

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot