Google emoji fonts

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun Jan 5 02:09:37 UTC 2014

On 14-01-04 08:29 PM, Peter Oliver wrote:
> I was looking around for a font in Fedora that could display emoji.
>
> Symbola has good coverage but the images aren't the easiest to see at typical
> text sizes.
>
> I found a couple of Android-related fonts that seem to fit the bill, namely
> Noto Color Emoji and Android Emoji, but neither are packaged for Fedora yet.
>
> Noto Color Emoji appears in the Android source (e.g.,
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/noto-fonts/+/kitkat-release/NotoColorEmoji.ttf)
> but not in the upstream Noto at https://code.google.com/p/noto/ (although I
> guess it will show up at some point in the future).

I built that font.  Will move it to upstream Noto soonish...

>  As I understand it this
> is some kind of new-fangled colour font; it works on Fedora 20 (albeit in
> greyscale) but not on Fedora 19.  It uses bitmaps, so appears fuzzy at large
> sizes.

Yes, we designed and implemented it:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/open-standard-color-font-fun-for.html

I also have a proof-of-concept patch to cairo that would make the color work,
but it's not ready for upstream and no other cairo hacker showed interest in
finishing it.  I may check that out again.

On 14-01-05 02:24 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:> On Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at
12:29:47PM +0000, Peter Oliver wrote:
>> I was looking around for a font in Fedora that could display emoji.
>
> There's also https://github.com/Genshin/PhantomOpenEmoji, which is a set of
> SVG images. This was made into a TTF font:
> http://people.mozilla.org/~jkew/opentype-svg/GeckoEmoji.ttf
>
> More at http://www.w3.org/2013/10/SVG_in_OpenType/

That version wouldn't work.  The SVG proposal is not implemented in FreeType.
 That's part of my things to do, but has not been high priority.

That said, I've also built a bitmap version of the Phantom set that is
available here:

  https://code.google.com/p/color-emoji/

On 14-01-05 04:20 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:> Hi,

> The vector version is probably more generally useful, most apps would not
> know what to do with the other one today (and printing would be a mess).
> Though I suppose both could be packaged.

I fixed cairo and fontconfig to automatically scale the bitmaps, so to most
apps they are just like other fonts.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/