Showing fonts in GNOME Software

pravin.d.s at gmail.com pravin.d.s at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 07:07:03 UTC 2014

On 15 October 2014 20:32, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to decentralize the storage of font metadata used in
> gnome-software. I would be appreciative of any comments to this
> article:
> http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2014/10/15/gnome-software-and-fonts/
> -- Once any big issues are ironed out, I'll send that to
> devel at fedoraproject for comments.

I am with you regarding having font metadata packaged with fonts. It will
be good to get font represented in nice way AT gnome-software.

While going through metadata, i found situation is bit familiar with
fontconfig (.conf) files in font packages. As per font packaging guideline
fontconfig file is mandatory for each font packages.

1. I think best way is to improve packaging guideline and make font
metadata also mandatory. Provide some nice templates. Report bugs again
fonts and see how many responds and patch for remaining.

2. Existing fontconfig files added by font maintainer in font packages does
not have any Copyright or Licensing.  IMHO good to keep things easy and
avoid dual licensing.

Best Regards,
Pravin Satpute

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fontconfig_packaging_tips